Supported Versions of X-Plane
The Gateway is currently accepting scenery developed in the following versions of X-Plane. If you develop in an unlisted version, including any beta, you will be unable to upload your scenery.
Note that these are the versions of X-Plane you must actually have installed on your computer, not the export target you validate against in WED. (All Gateway uploads use the Gateway upload target.)
You should load your scenery in this copy of X-Plane to ensure it is free of errors; merely updating to the new version doesn’t help find issues in the scenery pack.
Pre-fabricated modules are available on the Gateway for import into scenery projects. Check out this document for a list and screenshots.
Tips for getting your airport approved on the Gateway
- This article explains ways to avoid common pitfalls that cause airports to be declined by the Gateway Moderator.
- This article contains moderator tips for making better Gateway airports.
- Gateway artist Jan Vogel (LitJan) has created a video tutorial series that is a great resource for scenery artists of all experience levels.
X-Plane 11.30 has a revised, flexible ATC voice system for improved realism. The new ATC system allows Laminar Research to regenerate phrases rapidly between updates. Because of this, LR has created a public database of the spoken phrases and will allow the community to customize the pronunciation of airports, airlines, manufacturers, models and VORs.
Please see the article Improving ATC Speech and Pronunciation for more information and instructions.
9 November 2022
X-Plane 12 is coming to the Gateway!
The full release of X-Plane 12 is expected in the near future. With that in mind, Gateway artists may wish to consider the following recommendations as we get ready to open the Gateway to XP12 submissions:
- Download WED 2.5 and check out the associated release notes: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/276941-wed-25-beta-3-extended-release-notes/
- Update your existing (beta) copy of X-Plane 12 and maintain the latest beta release.
- Point WED 2.5 to your copy of X-Plane 12.
- Pick a small number of airports you want to refresh with XP12 assets, and check them out on the Gateway. Be frugal - we recommend only checking out airports that can be turned-around in a matter of about 3-4 weeks
- Expect a few more 3D art assets to be added with every beta release of XP12. However, the 2D art assets are likely not going to change.
- Once X-Plane 12 moves to full release status, the Gateway will start accepting XP 12 submissions and the moderator will assign them priority. Expect a Gateway export to XP12 to occur as early as two weeks after the Gateway has been opened. XP12 submissions arriving after that date will make it into one of the minor XP12 releases that occur subsequently.
- Where possible, wrap-up and submit your existing XP11 airports. Once the Gateway opens to X-Plane 12, it will simultaneously close for X-Plane 11 submissions.
23 June 2021
WED 2.4r2 is now the official stable version. This update features support for editing .ags, .agb and .net items (road networks and autogen) in overlay scenery. You can download a copy of WED 2.4 here on the X-Plane Developer site. See the included README file for a full list of changes and improvements.
22 June 2021
Gateway airports marked “Recommended” before 09 June at 21:47 UTC will be included in the airport update for X-Plane 11.55. Any airports submitted, approved or recommended after that time will be included in a later update.
4 Dec 2020
Gateway airports marked “Recommended” before 24 November at 12:14 UTC will be included in the airport update for X-Plane 11.51. Any airports submitted, approved or recommended after that time will be included in a later update.
5 Nov 2020
WED 2.3r2 is now the official stable version. This is a minor update with improved visualizations and validations for ATC network designers, support for changed data formats and the new scenery feature “set_AGL” in X-Plane 11.50. You can download a copy of WED 2.3 here on the X-Plane Developer site. See the included README file for a full list of changes and improvements.
14 April 2020
Gateway airports marked “Recommended” before 14 April at 14:47 UTC will be included in the airport update for X-Plane 11.50. Any airports submitted, approved or recommended after that time will be included in a later update.
19 February 2020
WED 2.2r2 is now the official stable version. This is a minor update with bug fixes and enhancements such the ability to preview facades in 3D, faster loading, and up to 100 “undo” operations. Note that WED 2.1 is still valid to upload to the Gateway, but versions older than that are no longer eligible. You can download a copy of WED 2.2 here on the X-Plane Developer site. See the included README file for a full list of changes and improvements.